Thursday, February 5, 2015

"Rialto Market, After Hours" - My Latest Painting

I'm excitedly looking forward to:

a) Teaching my upcoming Venice workshop, which is only about 10 weeks away now!

and

b) Painting more Venice paintings (from my 2013 workshop).  I just love that city to bits. 

After my last trip, I came home with 3600 photos and I've pulled out about 30 that have real good potential for paintings.  Some scenes include the cute little gardens that are tucked away, others are of the well-known areas like St. Mark's Square and the Rialto Bridge, and then some are of the quiet campos where families, young and old, gather every Sunday afternoon.  I often wondered whether they (the old people) minded us sitting on their park benches as we sketched their churches, or whether EVERY Sunday there are some other painters that sit on them anyway.  Are we just fixtures to them?

Below I'll show you a step-by-step of how I painted "Rialto Market, After Hours" (which took me 12 days to draw and paint).  We arrived at the market in the morning, after all the vendors were already set up.  There were all kinds of strange fruits & vegetables to be had, like these:
Produce at the Rialto Market
Any idea what that is?
  
The fish vendors were also out, with seagulls close by, ever vigilant.

After the Rialto Market closes down (sometime after lunch), the vendors hose down the cobblestones and wash away all evidence of the morning's business.  

As my group headed home to our Venetian apartment after our day of painting, I turned to my right and saw this scene before me!  The reflection in the wet cobblestones was a sight to behold!  Here's how I painted what I saw before me (note that there were LOTS of steps in between...to see more of these steps, please visit my Facebook page.)





"Rialto Market, After Hours"
Watercolor on watercolor canvas, by Helen K. Beacham Fine Art
24" x 18", $1900
Available after Feb 11, 2015 through the Mary Martin Gallery of Fine Art

Come paint with me! 
In 2015, we're going to Venice, Niagara Falls, Montreal and so on!!!  
Find details HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment