Monday, January 19, 2015

Beach Shells?

I did some quick math (yes, I can do math) to come up with 980 individual students who have studied with me over the past 30 years of teaching watercolor (my jaw literally dropped when the calculator showed me this evidence).

Some of my observations:

1.  I put a lot of thought into making my classes unique, because so many of you have studied with me for years, and I don't want you bored.  What new things do you want to learn? 

2.  My newer students sometimes feel like they're not up to par with the others.  I say "you've got to start somewhere".  Besides, in just a very few short weeks, I'll bring you up to speed and it will all make sense.

3.  Many of you have never painted "en plein air" (this means "outside" in French).  I remember my first time....who doesn't!?  ;)  It CAN be scary, but again, do it once, and it won't be scary anymore.  What you learn by painting outdoors will contribute more to your learning experience than reading about it in a book.

4.  I love treating each of you as individuals...that means if you want to follow my lesson plan precisely, okay.  But if you want to show your individuality, okay too!  The world doesn't need more "Helen Beachams".  The world is ready for YOU.

5.  My students give me the best suggestions.  What's on YOUR Bucket List for a possible plein air travel destination?

6.  I was recently told by one student that she was officially my "groupie".  She lives out of town (hi, Char) and plans her trips (into Charleston to see her son) around my workshop schedule.  I'm honored, to say the least.  Anyway, Charleen gave me the idea that we should find a name for my groupies!  I must admit, I didn't spend too much time on this yet, but what do you think about my "Beach Shells"?  Get it??  Beacham...Beach Shells?  Ok, I tried.  Why don't you give it a try (and please let me know what you come up with!).  I look forward to hearing your Comments!


 A beautiful shell, found by a friend of mine.
Unique, like each of my wonderful students.
Come paint with me! 
In 2015, we're going to Venice, Niagara Falls, Montreal and so on!!!  
Find details HERE.


SEE MY LATEST BLOG POST HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment