Sunday, August 10, 2014

Judges Look for What?

I just spent some time cleaning out old emails, and stumbled on one I've saved since 7/10/10 (yes, that's 2010).  It contained an article written by M. Stephen Doherty (artist, juror, once Editor-in-Chief of American Art Magazine, and the writer of a dozen art books and hundreds of articles in magazines).  

This particular article was entitled: How Art Exhibition Jurors Make Decisions.  You may read the complete article HERE, but I thought I'd list for you the major bullet points.

1.  Enter your best work.

2.  Enter the maximum number.  (show the judges your talent is solid).

3.  Enter pieces that are unusual, not safe.

4.  Don't assume judges will like artwork that is similar to their own.

5.  Enter work that can be quickly understood.

6.  Don't enter pieces that push the limits of good taste, humor, scale or presentation.

7.  Consider entering work that fits into less competitive categories.  (An oil painting gets lost in a sea of oil submissions).

8.  Don't take contest results too seriously.  (the following are Mr. Doherty's additional words:  A friend of mine keeps paintings on the fireplace mantel in his studio that he has entered in several contests. On the backside of the frames, he records the results from each submission. One painting was rejected from three competitions and won prizes in four others (including "Best of Show"), and the other paintings have similar track records. "I keep the paintings on display so I remind myself that art contests are based on completely subjective reviews," he explains. That story is worth keeping in mind the next time your work is rejected from an art contest or if it wins the Best of Show award.)

A pretty decent list, I should say.  I wrote my own post on April 22, 2014 about what judges look for.  You may find it HERE.

p.s.  It's good to be back!  I've been "gone" for a while because I recently conducted a plein air workshop in Montreal (I promise to write about that soon), and then I was faced with refinishing a wood floor in my kitchen and breakfast room.  I've never "built" a house with my husband (and this is small compared to that), but now I totally understand why some couples never make it through such a life changing event!  Hugs and smiles to all of you out there today!
Helen.

Come paint Maine (deadline is August 24), and Charleston with me in 2014!  
In May 2015, we go back to Venice!!!  Find details HERE.

SEE MY LATEST POST HERE.   

No comments:

Post a Comment