- The population of metropolitan Montreal is around 4,000,000 (it was 3,800,000 in 2011 when the last Census took place).
- Montreal is a French-speaking city. It's the 5th largest in the world with Paris, of course, being the first.
- According to Wikipedia, Jacques Cartier became the first European to reach the area now known as Montreal in 1535 when he entered the village of Hochelega on the Island of Montreal while in search of a passage to Asia during the Age of Exploration.
- Montreal was incorporated as a city in 1832.
- Montreal's flag consists of 5 symbols. The cross represents its Christian beginnings and heritage. The fleur-de-lys represents the French who settled there. The rose represents the English and the Welsh. The shamrock represents the Irish and the thistle, the Scots.
|Photo courtesy of: www.rankopedia.com |
who ranked it "the prettiest flag of a city".
Come paint Venice, Montreal, Maine, Charleston, and Magnolia Plantation with me in 2014!
Find details HERE.
SEE MY LATEST POST HERE.