Thursday, June 18, 2020

Two Things...

1.  I'm finishing my latest watercolor by adding pen and ink, using a dip pen and Sepia ink I bought in Venice.  I inadvertently dropped my pen last night, and bent the nib. 😧I used pliers to try to fix it but nothing helped (it just wouldn't hold the ink). I panicked. I only had about 5 more minutes left to finish the piece.  Tried shopping online, and then I remembered....!




Two years ago I bought this child's version of a dip pen for my then 6 yr old granddaughter/artist. I felt she did not yet have the dexterity to handle it or the ink bottle, and who knows? She might even drop and break the pen!  💚



Her pen saved the day! I've been recording (at high speed) the painting process for this piece. I just have to figure out how to stitch the various videos together now.  😕 

2) Because I wanted a variety of yellows for my aforementioned painting, I pulled out several tubes and created "drawdowns" for them.  (I used to work as Purchasing Manager for a household paint manufacturer in my 20's. In their world, drawdown is a large sample of paint from the actual can of paint being used for the job.)


Here I sampled two Daniel Smith pigments and realized they were beyond "extremely similar", although the New Gamboge does seem to be more vibrant by just a hair. It made the cut!

WORKSHOPS

Admit it! We've all felt too cooped up!  Please REPLY to this email if you'd like to be added to my Notifications about upcoming workshops.  In the Fall of 2021, we are going to Venice, Florence and Portugal!

THIS November, if all goes well, you'll have the pleasure of painting with Kim Minichiello, an awarded artist from Florida. I invited her to Summerville, SC to teach you!  Summerville is only 20 miles from the Charleston airport (airport code CHS if you want to research flights).  You may find details for Kim's workshop HERE. Just the "proverbial" few spots are left at this point! You will paint both of these reference images, as small 8x8 to 12x12 paintings. Please share this info with a painting friend? Thanks!!



Paintings copyrighted by Kim Minichiello (Workshop Details HERE).

https://www.facebook.com/BeachamFineArt/


All my best,

Helen 💟

No comments:

Post a Comment