Saturday, November 14, 2015

Local Color...what's that?

As painters, we constantly make decisions about what colors we should use in our paintings.  As a teacher, I often refer to the "local color" of an object.  

Think of an orange being orange, a leaf being green, and a white flower being white.  Orange, green and white are the local colors of these objects.  

But you and I both know that we have to use lots of other colors, which will hopefully visually blend into the colors we want our viewers to see.  

I often see "color tests" on Facebook and on other sites...Have you tried them and how did you fare?  Can you see those very slight differences?  Exercises like that are fun, aren't they?



Even within the blue areas in the flower, can you see some yellow?  some pink or purple?  
Come paint with me! 
In 2016, we're going to Venice again.
Check out my classes HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment