Sunday, August 23, 2015

Happy Early Birthday to me!

It's not like there's a shortage of watercolor paint tubes in My Upstairs Studio (most of which are Winsor & Newton...my standby favorites for 33 years), but I've had the urge to try Daniel Smith to a greater degree than I've been able to up till now.

Trust me, when you go online to look at their colors, they will NOT be indicative of the real colors for their paint choices.  It's well worth the $25-30 to buy a Daniel Smith sampler (you get 4 sheets, containing 238 dabs of paint that you wet out to create actual paint colors).  One of the sheets actually contains mostly iridescent or "interference" colors which I don't see most watercolor painters using to a great degree, but it's nice to know they're there.  Might be good for illustrations?

At left, my baggies of various watercolors already in my inventory, sorted by color.
At right, Daniel Smith's "sampler"...you can wet out each dab of paint on the card in order to determine which colors you want to order.
I just spent a bunch of money to buy 17 tubes of paint.  Next on the list, a new palette that will hold about 40 colors...I found one at ASW Express.  I'll leave some of the wells unfilled until I can buy more colors.  Yay! Early, early birthday present!  (it's not till November)

Come paint with me! 
In 2016, we're going to Venice again.
Sept 2015 classes have been added to my website!
Check them out HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment