Monday, February 11, 2013

Watercolor Palettes for Large Paintings

I'm in love with painting larger paintings.  When I do, I use bigger brushes and find that the wells on my regular palette are small and get in the way of being spontaneous and creative.  As a result, I've come up with several homemade palettes that work best for me.  

The one on the left is your basic muffin tin (plastic...the microwavable kind...found at Goodwill).  It's already a pale color, so it works.  The middle one is a box top that I've cut openings into.  Into the openings I drop plastic wine tumblers and I squeeze my paint into them.  As I need different colors for different paintings, I pull them out and replace as needed.  I never throw the cups away because watercolor is resoluble.  The tool on the right was given to me by my friend, Sonia, who bought it at either Lowe's or Home Depot.  It was black, so I spray painted it white (you want to see your true paint colors, so white is best).  Lowe's is one of my favorite spots to shop for the unconventional art tool...I have no idea what this was intended for, but it works for me!  Balanced on the box top is my 2" brush so that you can see size relationships.  I combine these tools with either styrofoam plates or my regular watercolor palette lid for the mixing of my colors.





Come with me to paint Venice this October...click HERE for details!

READ MY LATEST POST!

No comments:

Post a Comment