Monday, September 17, 2012

Mark Rothko & another good friend

www.helenKbeacham.com

I'm looking forward to this coming weekend, when I'll travel to Aiken & Columbia, SC to meet up with my artist/friend from Atlanta.  It's going to be:  "girl's weekend collides with art weekend"!

One of the main reasons for our trip is to visit the Mark Rothko exhibit, which is now showing through Jan 6 at the Columbia Museum of Art.

I know what Rothko's paintings look like (or so I thought), but research has led me to find that his early work looked very different (yet also very similar, in some ways).  I have often heard that abstracts come from reality.  What do you think???

Mark Rothko, Entrance to Subway [Subway Scene],1938, Collection of Kate Rothko Prizel
Rothko's street scenes and subway pictures of the 1930s have been compared to examples of Ashcan School and Depression-era realist painting, but this resemblance is likely based on the perception of a shared urban motif. Rather than providing a "realistic" portrayal of the city life, Rothko seems far more interested in conveying the perceptual experience of architectural space, using abstract compositional arrangements to explore the relationship between the painting and its viewer, an element that would play a critical role in the artist's later works.   (Courtesy: National Gallery of Art)



Courtesy of YURICA REPORT




1 comment:

  1. Wonderful- I'm sure you will enjoy the show!
    I couldn't agree more that Rothko's earlier work is really based in these abstract shapes just waiting to evolve into the later paintings. Thanks for sharing and have a great time.

    ReplyDelete