Monday, July 17, 2017

Tippette #34 - Taking research photos

I voraciously snap pics with my phone...who doesn't?  

BUT, when I just took a photo that I know in my heart I'm going to want to paint, I point my phone or camera to the ground and snap another photo.  Why? So that it's real easy to identify the photo's location later when I download all of them.  (I typically come home from Montreal with 1600 photos. They all go into a folder dated with that year and month).

Montreal, in the Little Burgundy neighborhood

Similarly, if I'm sketching en plein air and want to finish it later in my Studio, I make sure to take a closeup of the scene and then point down at the ground. The one other thing I do is take a pic of my sketch to that point.  It sometimes comes in handy if I later want to do a work-in-progress post about it.


"One Way".  Watercolor (varnished & gelled to an archival board)
by Helen K Beacham
ARTWORK AVAILABLE.
Any other helpful tips that you have for taking your own research photos?

My Montreal (Canada) workshop (Aug 9-16) is still open for registration.  
Montreal is my home town.  Let me show Her to you! (details HERE).

SEE MY LATEST POST HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment