Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Black Holes in Reference Photos

A watercolor "tippette" from July 2018 - worth a 2nd look!!

Tippette #37: The Black Hole(s) in Reference Photos

Tippette = Snippet of a Tip (in watercolor).

Here's a real life example of why artists shouldn't rely solely on photos for reference.

Photos lie, especially in the darkest portions of a photo.  Just look at the difference between the reference photo and then the lightened up version below it.  Get ready to be amazed!

So hard to tell what's going on in the darks.

Lightened up version (use any photo editing software).
No way I saw that door open, with a man walking through it.
And just look at the windows!!
But now I have to figure out what to do about the door...hmmmm.
Luckily, I have MUCH experience with painting doors!
The answer when working from photos is to be sure you know exactly what's happening in your dark areas or you'll end up with a black hole that nobody wants to go down. Here's the finished painting...

"Late in the Day"
Watercolor on 300# Arches - Available
Helen K Beacham Fine Art
I hope these periodic tippettes help you in your painting journey.  Ask me anything in the Comments below and I'll either direct you to an existing tippette, or I'll write a post with my answer.

You might also enjoy:  TIPPETTE #11:  IMPROVING ON YOUR PHOTOGRAPH

Remember to sign up to receive my blog automatically, sent via email to your inbox!  Let me know if you have trouble doing that.

                          -------------------------------------------------
My next overseas workshop is VENICE IN APRIL 2020
Please share with a painting friend!?  Thank you!


READ MY LATEST POST HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment