Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tippette #9 - From Realism to Abstract (...almost)

Tippette = Snippet of a Tip (in watercolor).  One per day...during April...right here!

Wikipedia describes abstract art as follows:"Abstraction indicates a departure from reality in depiction of imagery in art. This departure from accurate representation can be only slight, or it can be partial, or it can be complete."


From Realism to Abstract (...almost) - Let's loosen up!

I'm known for my representational work, but sometimes I like to loosen up, stretch my boundaries, and just play for a day.  I learn something every time I give it a try.  Today, I thought you might enjoy seeing some of my reference photos, and then the resulting paintings that have a somewhat abstract quality to them.  (All of these reference photos are from Mepkin Abbey in the Charleston, SC area).


Photo reference.  Copyrighted.
"Not Complicated" (watercolor) by Helen K. Beacham - SOLD.
Photo reference.  Copyrighted.
"Just a Vapor" (watercolor on Yupo) by Helen K. Beacham  - SOLD.

In the example below, I'm showing you two paintings (one in watercolor and one in acrylic) based off the same reference photo.  You'll notice that the first one is a twin to the one above...they sold as a pair.

Photo reference (copyrighted)
"Interplay" (watercolor on Yupo) by Helen K. Beacham - SOLD.
"Mepkin View III" (acrylic mixed media) by Helen K. Beacham  - SOLD.
I know that these are not "abstracts" as most people think of abstracts.  But they're as close as I'm ever going to get to abstraction!  Abstracts are a lot of work!  Do you have examples of your own to share?  

You may comment on this blog post in one of 2 ways:

1.  If you received an email update of my post, you may click on the title of the post and it'll take you to my blog.  Then...
2.  If you are directly on my blog, go to the bottom of the post and find the blue word COMMENT.  Click on it and a box will pop up for you to type into.
Thanks for visiting today!

Come with Helen K. Beacham and Kelly Medford to paint Venice this October...
click HERE for details!


READ MY LATEST POST HERE.



2 comments:

  1. I've never been a fan of abstract art but have to admit that your versions are wonderful. I absolutely love that last piece you shared, Helen. Truly a stunning piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CrimsonLeaves, that last piece measured 60" high x 20" wide. I was able to use big brushes and get a lot of freedom into play. p.s. even though I don't paint straight abstract, I really, really appreciate abstract art when it moves me. And I HAVE come across some that has done just that!

      Delete