Sunday, April 28, 2013

Tippette #28 - Painting Lifestyle

Tippette = Snippet of a Tip (in watercolor).  One per day...during April...right here!  Tell a friend!


Painting Lifestyle

I'm inclined to share with you today not a painting tip per se, but a painting lifestyle tip.  If you don't already know about this group, you owe it to yourself to check into them.  They are Urban Sketchers, and most of them incorporate watercolors into their creative sketches.  (Note:  I wanted to post images from their site for you to see, but I didn't have time to ask permission from the individual artists, so I'm hoping you'll take the time to visit their website mentioned below).

Their WEBSITE says:  "Urban Sketchers started online as a flickr group in 2007 and later became a nonprofit organization. Our mission as a nonprofit is to raise the artistic, storytelling and educational value of location drawing, promoting its practice and connecting people around the world who draw on location where they live and travel. We aim to show the world, one drawing at a time.

This is the manifesto we follow:

  1. We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
  2. Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
  3. Our drawings are a record of time and place.
  4. We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
  5. We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles."...read more HERE.

They also have a Facebook page which you may see HERE.

Although their members live literally around the globe, I'm not aware (yet) of anyone in the Charleston, SC area that participates with the Urban Sketchers...do you know someone?  If not, maybe we need to get it going! Anyone?


Come with Helen K. Beacham and Kelly Medford to paint Venice this October...
Two Spots Left!
click HERE for details!



READ MY LATEST POST HERE.

4 comments:

  1. I'd be interested Helen, I know (via the internet) people who do 'urban sketchers' and I followed Gabi Campanario (from Seattle who started it all... ) from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Capt Elaine! I'll keep it in mind...and let me know if YOU ever want to get out there. We can get this going!

      Delete
  2. I just read an article about the Urban sketchers in the Watercolor magazine. I used to follow Liz and Borromini and her sketches were always wonderful. Alas, I'm not generally much of a sketcher. I am to full of doubt about my own abilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're unsure about your sketching abilities, definitely buy "Drawing on the Right side of the brain" by Betty Edwards. Follow those exercises, and you'll thank me for the rest of your life!

      Delete