Friday, April 26, 2013

Tippette #26 - Switching Color

Tippette = Snippet of a Tip (in watercolor).  One per day...during April...right here!  Tell a friend!

Don't go long without switching colors

When people tell me that they like my art, it makes me analyze what aspects of my art really draw people in.  I'm convinced that part of it is due to the fact that I don't go very far with one color without introducing another color into it.  That doesn't mean that I don't have quiet, safer passages.  I do.  But I do find myself introducing another color about every inch or so...can't help myself.  Remember that, if we paint long & often enough, your painting style emerges...this happens to be my style.  I'm not saying everyone needs to do this.

With the use of close up examples, I hope you can see what I'm talking about.  Each of these squares below is a 1" x 1" section of different paintings.  They look a bit pixelated because I've enlarged them a lot for this post, but hopefully it lets you look into my process a bit.




All are 1" x 1" sections of my actual paintings.
Come with Helen K. Beacham and Kelly Medford to paint Venice this October...
Two Spots Left!
click HERE for details!





4 comments:

  1. I also work in a similar way Helen, can't seem to help myself either, hardly mix on the palette either, always on the paper or more recently, mixing on the brush picking up "neat" paint on the brush and adding water to it on the paper. Guess we all have our different ways but in my view adding variety with colour makes for a more interesting painting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. And these small little snapshots is what I love about your watercolor work and I find this similarity in most of the watercolor work that I admire. Mine? Not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the other hand, CrimsonLeaves, I admire artwork that is fresh and seems uncontaminated...that's certainly ok too!

      Delete