Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tippette #14 - Painting on Rice Paper

Tippette = Snippet of a Tip (in watercolor).  One per day...during April...right here!

Everyone needs a break from their daily painting routine.  I know that I do.  To loosen up, I sometimes paint on rice paper which can result in a painting of its own, or I use pieces of the painted rice paper in the rare collage I might create.


Painting on Rice Paper

I use a variety of rice papers and honestly couldn't tell you the names of them right now.  I may have bought them when visiting an art shop around the country, or I may have ordered them online after reading about something new to me.  Regardless, over time I've ended up with a variety to pull from.  Here's an image that's a closeup of a collage called "The Pull of Two Moons".  This represents the top half of the painting.
Detail of "The Pull of Two Moons" (watercolor & collage) by Helen K Beacham


Close Up to show texture.
To paint something like this, you have many choices.  I might wet part of the rice paper, knowing that the paint will react differently where it's dry paper and give me some interesting variety.  Depending on the size of the paper (in this case the original size I painted onto was about 20x30...but for this painting featured today, I tore off part of the painted rice paper so it measured about 8x10...I saved the rest for a future collage).  p.s.  you can tell I tore the rice paper and didn't cut it because you can see the deckled edge around 3 sides shown in the first image.  

I prepared my puddles of color on my palette, wet part of my paper and not other parts, picked up a 2" brush and started applying color very randomly, but also with some kind of pattern that pleased me that day.  While wet, I dropped in several pennies, string, gravel, and so on.  Then I placed plastic wrap over the whole thing and weighted it down with a cardboard topped off with a bunch of books.  I left it laying flat for 2 days (a lot depends on the humidity in the air, of course), and then did the unveiling with great anticipation!  (p.s.  test a corner before you remove the plastic wrap from the whole piece.)  As you can tell, wherever my various objects were placed, there accumulated some dark passages of paint.  

I chose the section of the 20x30 that I felt would work best for my collage idea, tore it out and gelled it to a birchwood panel with acrylic medium.  I then gelled other bits and pieces into the painting until I was satisfied with the result.

I hope this gets you thinking about how you too can loosen up with rice paper paintings.  Have fun!

You may comment on this blog post in one of 2 ways:
1.  If you received an email update of my post, you may click on the title of the post and it'll take you to my blog.  Then...
2.  If you are directly on my blog, go to the bottom of the post and find the blue word COMMENT.  Click on it and a box will pop up for you to type into.
Come with Helen K. Beacham and Kelly Medford to paint Venice this October...
click HERE for details!
www.helenKbeacham.com

READ MY LATEST POST HERE.




4 comments:

  1. I really love well done collages and admire the creativity involved always. Love the colors and textures in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Thanks for the tipette! I have a pkg of rice paper I bought at a store closing sale and have looked at it several times but didn't have a clue what to do with it! Now I can't wait to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! Show us the final result, Helen! You can email it to me at helenKbeacham@gmail.com and I'll post it! (remember the K in the middle of my email name or it won't come to me...it goes to a different Helen Beacham, believe it or not!) Can't wait to see your rice paper attempt!

      Delete