Sunday, October 22, 2017

You never know.

For the second time, I took my 5 yr old granddaughter to sketch "en plein aire" with me.  I even bought a pint-sized stool (10" high) just for her.  Makes her feel very grown up.  


Urban Sketchers Charleston announced that they were meeting in downtown Charleston at the Market Street Pavilion Hotel. From there, we all went our own way to sketch for 2 hours and then we met back up at the Hotel for a group photo and to see what we had each drawn.


Daphne and I enjoyed drawing this tiny, circular building that we pretended was a fairy castle (it's right at the corner of S. Market Street and Concord St. in case you ever want to go...and thx to Karen H for the suggestion!).  I wonder what it was in real life (and I wish I had taken a photo of it for reference, but I guess I was too engrossed).

See her palm tree on the right page?

You just never know:

- She's only 5.  I wondered "would she get hot and bored?"  (it was Sept 18 and very hot out).  She loved every minute of it!

- Would she get frustrated and overly compare herself to me or to the others? Nope, she was PROUD! The only lesson I repeat is that she must really "look" at her subject.  I don't want a bunch of rules thrown at her, and I don't correct her (yet), unless it's to make her "look" again without criticizing what she's drawn.

- I HAVE taught children in the past, but it's been many years since then.  What do you art teachers think?  Should I be more technical with her at this age?

After our plein aire, we deserved a little cooling off!



I'm so glad to have such a vivacious painting partner!  Have you ever taken out your child or grandchild to paint with you?  How did that go for you?? Please leave me a Comment...I would love to hear from you!

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN FOR:
- Plein Aire Charleston (Nov 17-18, 2017)
- Montreal (July 15-22, 2018)
- Barcelona (Sept 1-6, 2018)
- Southern France (Sept 7-13, 2018)
- Venice (Sept 14-22, 2018)
FIND THEM ALL ON MY WEBSITE HERE.

READ MY LATEST POST HERE.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment